I encountered an interesting scenario yesterday with a client where I needed to import their CRM 4.0 Online customizations into CRM 4.0 On-premise (Which was in a Virtual Machine). Perhaps this scenario isn’t overly common, but going forward if you have CRM 4.0 Online customers who want to go to say CRM 2011 On-Premise then there a few things you need to know.
I discovered there are several customizations that are only applicable to CRM 4.0 Online that will prevent the import being successful. After some further digging I found there is a tool available called the Migration Processer Tool which will allow you to “transform” your XML and prepare it for On-Premise.
When the MigrationProcessor Tool runs, it runs various processors configured in the Processor config file. The current version runs the following processors:
- Visualizations Processor
- Internet Marketing Processor
- Helpvisor Processor
- Homepage Processor
All processors, except the last processor have the IgnoreValidationErrors set to true as the work is not really complete and the validations do not succeed until the last processor succeeds in processing if all processors deal with different aspects of cleanup in the same element. In this case when the Internet Marketing processor completes its job it still has validation failures againt site map xsd as there is still cleanup work needed to be completed by the Help Visor processor and so you get the validation errors. Once the last processor set in the config file runs we do not expect any more validation errors as the set processors have all completed the job of cleaning up.
To access the Migration Processor tool, follow these steps:
- Download Update Rollup 7 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a4893988-7804-4e23-ab58-740441cc696e (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a4893988-7804-4e23-ab58-740441cc696e)
- Save the downloaded file to a folder.
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Change directories to the folder that contains the file for Update Rollup 7 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0, type CRMv4.0-KB971782-i386-Server-ENU.exe /x, and then press the ENTER key.
- I didn’t actually install Rollup 7, I just followed the steps in order to access and copy the tool. My CRM is patched with Rollup 12.
- Click Save when you are prompted to save the extracted files.
- Change directories to the Tools/Customizationmigrationprocessor directory. The directory is located where the extracted files were saved in step 5.
- At a command prompt, run the Migrationprocessortool.exe file that is located in the Customizationmigrationprocessor folder. To do this, run the following command:
- The Customizationfile placeholder represents the location of the Microsoft CRM Online customization file that you want to process.
- When you run the Migrationprocessortool.exe file, the tool processes the customizations. Then, the tool saves a new file that is named “ProcessedCustomization.xml” in the Customizationmigrationprocessor folder.
- The ProcessedCustomization.xml file contains a new set of customizations.
After you covert the CRM Online customization file into a CRM 4.0 customization file, use the ProcessedCustomization.xml file to import Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online customizations into a Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 organization.
Done! I did notice that some of the Navigation items were not showing as they were in CRM Online, but after customizing My Workplace I was able to get everything back in place.
Please see the Microsoft Support KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976978 for more information.